McFarland House - History

If only the walls could talk…

1911 Arnold Gray McFarland, Auditor for the CPR, purchased the property. His father, from New Brunswick, began building this house for Arnold and his bride, Helen G. Bowser, from Victoria Corner, New Brunswick.
1912 Building was completed, but not before a tornado ripped off the roof of the building and deposited it in what was to become the schoolyard of City Park Collegiate.
1912

Reginald Bowser McFarland was born in this house – the first of seven children raised in this house by the McFarlands.

 

Other interesting side-notes about Reginald:

 

McFarland Place in Arbor Creek, was named in his honour. He passed away Nov. 10, 2002 at age 90. He retired in June 1980 from his position as Professor of Music. He and his first wife Lucille contributed greatly to the U of S and musicals, as well as to the Saskatoon Symphony. Reginald later married Alice Turner, after whom a Saskatoon library was named.

1959 The Arnold McFarlands retired to Victoria and sold the house to John E. Barton, a retired farmer.
1976 After John Barton’s death in 1974, his wife, Eleanor (nee Perry), an American business woman (from Georgia or Virginia), sold the house to Hub City Agencies Ltd.
1976-2004 Hub City Agencies Ltd. operated their real estate company from this location until the retirement of company owner Stan Lipka.
April 2004 The property was sold to Deborah Black who restored the main floor and renovated the second floor for the use of her communications company, dblack.communications.
2006 dblack.communications received a Heritage Award from the City of Saskatoon for the restoration of the main floor and adaptive reuse of the second floor of the building
2011

The basement of the property was completely renovated and reinforced and heated with radiant heat flooring. The facility is being used as a centre for health and wellness, including Meditation, and Healing Yoga for Cancer Survivors.

 

In recognition of its 100th anniversary, the property was named McFarland House, in honour of its first family.